Thursday, January 17, 2013

Paleo pt. 2



A week and a half in and I’m really impressed with the results I’m seeing from Paleo!  I’m down about 4 pounds and I look thinner.  Looking better is awesome, but not really the reason why I started. I really wanted to reform my eating habits and start feeling better.  The biggest eye opening moment came on Saturday when I ate a small piece of pizza and some popcorn. I felt nauseous afterwards, which was not surprising considering I hadn’t eaten those items in quite some time and was probably a shock to my system. The surprising part for me was that I wanted MORE, despite the fact that it made me feel awful. After I watched the documentary Hungry for Change (visit my healthy eating page for more info) I got a better understanding of really what goes on in our bodies and brains when we consume processed and chemically altered food. Experts liken it to smoking cigarettes. Often times smokers are desperate to quit but their brains are trained to want that next cigarette because of the chemicals in them. To think that our food is being manufactured in the same way as cigarettes is frightening.


So what am I not eating? Dairy (with the exception of a 2 or so slices of cheese), starches (potatoes, rice, bread), diet soda or any soda for that matter, fried food and processed foods (anything prepackaged). By eliminating those items from my diet, I’ve really cut down quite a bit on sugar as well. 

What am I eating, you ask? Lean meat, fruits, veggies, and some nuts.
What do I splurge on? The occasional class of wine (and by that I mean once a week on WINESday aka Wednesday) and the occasional piece of chocolate (usually accompanied with the glass of wine).

All in all, it’s pretty simple and easy to maintain. Like anything worth doing, it does take a bit of preplanning. But even when I have to grab a quick bite to eat on the run I can usually find a salad or a fruit/veggie option that fills me up.

Two of the best pieces of advice I’ve gotten since I started and that I share in case YOU are thinking about going Paleo are: 

   Look at the root cause of WHY you are eating WHAT you are eating.  It is emotional? It is ease of access? And then work to change your perspective. Paleo isn’t about what you CAN’T eat but instead it’s about what you don’t WANT to eat. After a while you’ll start to see certain food not as “off limits” but simply not desirable because they make you feel/look bad. 

 Slipups happen. And they do any time you try to make a big change. Yeah, so you had a piece of bread or a Poptart for breakfast because you overslept (I don’t know who would do that) but it’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Just start over and make a better choice at your next meal.
I’m encouraged by the results and eager to keep them up. I think it’s time to start cooking some new Paleo foods so I don’t get tired of eating the same things all the time. With a long weekend coming up, I’m planning to do a bit of experimenting with new meals. More to come on that!

*M