Monday, December 30, 2013

My Prayer for 2014

I've written and re-written a New Years post at least 3 times now.

I have so much I want to say about all the good that happened last year and all that I hope will happen next year.  I have loosely formed resolution that include running another half marathon, getting involved with volunteer activities again and making smarter financial decisions.


But hanging over my head is a cloud that I can't shake. It's a realization that life is so fleeting and 2014 will bring happiness and sadness, just like 2013 did. There will be things that will happen in 2014 that we will not anticipate. We didn't expect to lose my father-in-law this year, but we did. There will be times when we will be thrown for a loop and will have to adjust our lives and carry on.

The fact is, life is short. And we don't know how long any of us have here. I often wonder, if I were gone tomorrow what kind of mark would I leave? Would people know I loved God and I loved them? What would they say about the legacy I left?

I'm not trying to put a morbid twist on celebrationg a wonderful start to a New Year, but rather I'm taking a deep look at the life I'm living and how I can live it better.

So, I'm going to welcome 2014 with a prayer: 

I pray that 2014 will be a year that I live my life the way God would have me live it. That it be less about me and more about Him. I pray that my marriage matures because I have completely devoted myself to making it stronger than ever. I pray that my daughter and stepsons continue to grow happy and healthy because I have poured myself into ensuring they are cared for and fully loved. I pray that I bring nothing but positivity, happiness and joy to everyone I meet. I pray that I keep the insignificant things in this life just that and that I acknowledge daily what truly is important. I pray that I continue growing in a healthy lifestyle: mentally, emotionally, spitirutally and physically. I pray for guidance and wisdom in all that I do. I pray for God to show me the way to share the blessings I've received and the talents He has given me with others, especially those in need.  I pray that 2014 is the year I flourish because I am being everything I have been created to be. I pray that I find peace in the bittersweet memories of 2013. I am thankful for all I was given and taught this past year.  I welcome 2014 with arms wide open, ready to learn, ready to serve, ready to give.

Thank you God for my many, many blessings. 

Amen.

*M