Friday, August 16, 2013

Luna

 

Without a doubt, the wee babe (aka EG) is the focal point on this blog. And, hello, basically my whole life.

Which means the husband, work, dogs and random other funny/insightful/food-related blog topics are few and far between. I used to talk about all those things until little miss arrived on the scene and well, she is so cute and funny why would I write about anything else? 

There's no doubt that having a baby and keeping some semblance of a life is extremely time consuming. So, in addition to not having time to write about a lot of those other things I don't have time to actually do any of those things. Like, have a date night with my  husband or walk the dogs or read a book "just for fun." And yeah, it sucks at time. Because you are always feeling torn, exhausted and like you are letting someone down. But I've yacked about all of that before on here and you don't need me to rehash it again. That's not what this post is about, but I needed to get it out there to give this next part some context.

First of all let me say this: Luna is a-ok. Happy, healthy and totally fine. But she is living with a new family now. 
Luna came to us at a time when I really needed her. Chloe had died a few months prior and I just missed her and having a two dog household. When we saw Luna and heard that she needed a new home (or was going back to the shelter) my heart just wouldn't let me say no. So, she came home with us after we met her for the first time. We feed her well so her ribs wouldn't show anymore, I let her sleep at the foot of our bed because she seemed so sad by herself and we loved her because we knew that someone before us had not.  We took long walks and played with bubbles and laughed as she had have the time of her life running through the sprinklers in the backyard. She even got a cake on her 1st birthday! She was happy and we were happy. 
I had heard people talk about how they'd given their dogs to other families when a new baby came along.  And I swore, with every fiber of my being, that I would not be one of those people. I mean, it's not the worst thing in the world, but I just could not fathom the idea of parting ways with my fur baby. When Emily came along, Luna loved her and treated her so sweetly and it made me so happy. But things got busier and I didn't have time to spend with Luna one-on-one. A 50+ lb dog and a joggling stroller are not the best combination. Believe me, I tried. And Luna kept wanting more than just the backyard and Princess to play with. I can't tell you how many neighbors we met after they retrieved Luna when she jumped over our 6 foot fence.   I couldn't fault her for it, either. She just wanted a little fun and adventure and attention. 

Before we embarked on our beach vacation, my parents offered (or we asked? not sure how we got there) to keep Luna for a few weeks. I felt horrible leaving her but knew she would have a good time in a new place. We got back from vacation and settled back into life. I missed her but again, life was busy and she couldn't always be front and center of my mind. 

One day, my mom asked if I would consider giving Luna to someone else. Again, in my mind, this was not a topic up for discussion. Over the course of a several days, we talked and e-mailed and Randy and I discussed. At some point, either due to me being worn down from the dialogue or true acceptance of the situation (or both), I agreed to letting my mom post a flyer at the local vet with Luna's picture on it. "Free to a good home, good with kids" it said. It wasn't up for very long before it got the attention of a woman with lots of land, other dogs and two elementary aged children. She called my mom and they arranged a meeting.

To hear my mom talk about it, it was just meant to be. The woman and her kids loved Luna and she loved them. The boy was just thrilled that she would shake and that "she had so much energy." When it was time to go, my mom said Luna jumped in the van between the kids looked back at her with her silly smile (see above picture).

Sure, I have mixed feelings about it all.  But if I really think about it, I know in my heart it's what's best for everyone. Mom said that the family Luna is with just lost one of their dogs who was very old. Which, knowing Luna's past (complete with her 3 different names), makes me thinks she knows where to go when people need her. And when things are a better and brighter, she moves on to the next person. Thinking about it that way make me smile and that is forever how I will remember that sweet, crazy Luna Fauna Launa.

*M