Friday, July 5, 2013

July 4th and Peach Cobbler

After my last doom and gloom post, the sun finally broke through yesterday. Answered prayers!

Randy and I both had yesterday off and decided to check out the Gilbert Peach Festival parade. Gilbert is a little town not too far from us and I've always heard about the parade but never been. We woke up yesterday morning (overslept a bit so we got ready and flew out of the house in less than 1 hour) and drove over to Gilbert. We made it JUST before they blocked the road off for the parade. A few minutes later, and we might have been in the parade.

Emily had a great time checking out all the sights. She saw a few dogs, clapped her hands at everything and only got scared once when an ambulance went by.


Afterwards, we made our way through the thousands (I swear) of hot, sweaty people to the vendor area. I got the one thing I came for: peach ice cream. And it was amazing! We also got some fresh peaches which I came home and made THIS:


Yes, you are looking at fresh, homemade peach cobbler right of the oven! I know you are amazed. Thanks to Southern Living, it's pretty much the easiest, most delicious recipe ever:

You'll need:
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar, divided
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 cup milk 
  • 4 cups fresh peach slices
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • Ground cinnamon or nutmeg (optional)
  1. Melt butter in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
  2. Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter over butter (do not stir).
  3. Bring remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices, and lemon juice to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly; pour over batter (do not stir). Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired (and I did).
  4. Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.

Three things: I didn't have lemon juice so I used lime and that worked fine. I was a little worried that the peaches were too juicy when I poured them over the batter but it firmed up nicely (so don't freak if yours looks the same). I think next time I will only use 1/2 cup of sugar in the peaches. The whole thing is very sweet (but very delicious)!


I wasn't sure how Emily would do with the loud noises and she can barely stay up past 8:30 (but then again, neither can I , so we opted to just do sparklers this year. They were always my favorites when I was little and I can't wait for a little bit bigger Emily to try them out. But for now, she enjoyed watching her Daddy with them.


I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July. My deepest thanks to those who serve to keep our country the land of the free and the home of the brave!

*M