Thursday, May 30, 2013

Big 3-0 and 1st Mother’s Day

Editor's note: In typically "mommy brain" fashion, I wrote this them promptly forgot to post! A bit delayed but a recap of our adventures earlier this month. 

This time last week we were on our way back from an AMAZING vacation in Florida! Randy and I took 3 days off work, packed up Emily and our warmer weather clothes and headed down to Disney World. We got up early Thursday morning (like 4am early) and started the 7+ hour drive to Orlando. Emily was awesome in the car and slept most of the way.

That evening, Randy found an incredible Italian restaurant in Downtown Disney to celebrate my birthday. This man loves me so much he agreed to sitting outside on the patio (he does not enjoy eating outdoors) and he even tried calamari! He said he kept telling himself it was friend shrimp. Whatever works! We also had amazing chocolate cake but I was so busy eating it, I forgot to take a picture. Just trust me, it was beautiful and delish. All around it was the best birthday and a great start to 30!

The next day, we woke up early (not as early as 4am!) and arrived at the Magic Kingdom as it was opening. I told Randy, I was so excited to have Emily there that I almost cried. Such a dork! We dressed Emily in her finest Cinderella costume (compliments of Daddy) and got a picture with Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella! Everyone oooo’d and ahhhh’d over her, it was so cute.  I also had also gotten a Disney birthday button that I wore around the park and so many people wished me a happy birthday it was great! My favorite part was that all the princesses said “Happy Birthday, your majesty!” Nice!


 After the princess photo shoot, we tried out a few rides including Winnie the Pooh, Dumbo and Little Mermaid. Emily enjoyed Dumbo but was not crazy about the other two. I think because it was dark in parts of the ride and she got a little freaked out. She made the cutest, saddest whimpering sounds (like of like Princess!) and was grabbing at me and Randy during the rides. She never cried but it was clear she was not a fan.

Randy and I also took her on our favorite ride, the Haunted Mansion. I hemmed and hawed over it afraid it would be too scary. But when we saw it was only a 10 minute wait AND there was a baby younger than Emily in line, we decided to go for it.  She did the same whimpering noise a few times during the ride and I was feeling ok about whole thing. Then we got stuck ON the ride. TWICE. I know it wasn’t for more than 30 seconds both time but still I was sitting there thinking what kind of horrible baby nightmares she was going to have as a result. I don’t think we did any permanent damage but we decided to end our day in the park with baby friendly It’s a Small World ride.

We had originally just planned to chill on Saturday until Randy found out that we could get two tickets to Sea World at almost HALF of the cost of one, IF we went to a time share presentation. Randy and I had never been and were not sure how Emily would do. But, it was early in the morning, only 90 mins long and we were getting a deal so we went for it. The whole presentation was….interesting…and they really push the sale on you!

After the time share adventure, we took another stroll around Downtown Disney. Emily dressed for the occasion and we had a great time riding the boats to the other resorts and doing a little shopping.  That evening we captured the best picture of our trip, perhaps the best picture EVER.



I can’t wait to use this for her senior picture in her high school yearbook.

Sunday was Sea World day!  We watched a few shows, saw some fish in a huge aquarium and Randy finally got his turkey leg! Emily loved the dolphin show (they had birds in it) and was impressed with shark aquarium that you actually go through on a people mover. Emily had a fun but exhausting time and passed out right before the Shamu show.

For our last night, we ventured down to the board walk and grabbed some pizza. We took some great photos and walked around a few of the nearby result, which were gorgeous. All around it, it was an amazing trip and wonderful quality time with Emily and Randy. Considering how blessed I feel with my life, it was very fitting to celebrate my birthday and mother’s day at the happiest place on earth!