Monday, May 6, 2013

Defining and Redifining

As May 9th approaches, I find myself thinking more and more about my birthday. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not one of those people that freaks out about every birthday. I'm not all wigged out about getting another year older. I'm not going to make a big deal about turning "the big 3-0". It feels like so many people put too much emphasis on birthdays. It's just a day.  A number doesn't define us. It's a fleeting moment meant to be celebrated and enjoyed! It's also a time to reflect and think about what's to come.

Lately, I've been thinking about my life over the last few years and how much it's changed. Just in the last 10 years I've gone from a partying college student to a young professional to a wife and mom. There are times I feel like I'm doing exactly what I should be doing and then there are other times when I feel like there's something....just around the river bend (I clearly listen to way too much Disney because that's the only way I could think to finish that sentence).  I like to think that there are new, fun things awaiting me in life: like a new job, new place to live, new friends. I like being able to try and do new things. I like the constant defining and redefining of my life. I see myself as an easy going beach bum at heart but I'm also a go-getter of a working mom. I have all kinds of friends with all different interests and I love being around each of them. I enjoy trying things like kayaking, knitting, and running a half marathon. I'm not always good at those things, but I truly enjoy the chance to break out of the routine and do something different.

For me, the worst thing than 30 could bring is the end to change.  The end to constant adjustments. To just be stuck in a box  with the constant, boring cycle of the same ol', same ol'. I want to be able to look back in another 10 years and think that I've done some really fun things in great places with amazing people. It's tempting to make a list of what I want those things to be, but I think it's best to let it unfold in front of me. If I had make a list of all the things I wanted to do or be 10 years ago, it wouldn't hold a candle to what I've really done and who I've really become.

So, 30. Bring it on. I'm along for the ride and ready for wherever this journey takes us.

*M